If you know anything about SEO, you will have most likely heard the immortal words: “Content is always king!” Google absolutely loves content above anything else. Although just any old content won’t quite cut it, Google likes high quality and relevant content that more importantly gives value to your readers.
The best way to achieve this is through making use of a blog alongside your website, or perhaps creating a dedicated blog. Blogs can seem time consuming and an unnecessary time expense, especially when what you really want to be focussing on is getting those sales. Good blogging is just about being consistent. Whether that consistency means you write a blog post once per week, or once a month, Google’s just happy that you’re making new content.
The hardest thing about blogging can be choosing what to write about. Ideally you want to be producing articles that help improve your search engine results and give value to your website visitors at the same time, and that’s easier said than done.
Here are a few tips and tools to help you decide on the right content to talk about:
- Using Google trends – Google trends presents trending topics across thousands of industries every day, essentially what are people talking about now? It’s a great place to look for topical stories to write about or comment on, choose a controversial angle for example and you could see an explosion of social shares and comments, just be careful not to offend anyone…
- Looking at competitor websites – Taking a look at what other people in your industry are talking about can be a great way of getting inspiration, you’ll probably end up writing something completely different but if you’re stuck for ideas it’s a great place to start.
- Google graphs – Google graphs is a service that provides thousands of graphs for thousands of industries. It is free to use and perfect for backing up your points, giving you talking points or for putting into cool infographics for your fans to share.
A good question to often ask is: How do my readers benefit from this article? If there’s no obvious benefit then why should they read it, share it or come back for more?
Different types of content/articles to produce:
Google likes a variety of content, if you can include images and videos great, if you can reference related websites great, if you can encourage readers to comment even better. Anything you can do to show Google that your site provides a good user experience and above all value is what they want to see.
- Opinion pieces – Give your opinion on the latest news/trends in your industry – These are great for connecting with your audience, building trust and authority and can be great in stimulating comments or debate. If you get it right you could see other authority sites linking to your post, again Google Trends or Twitter are good places to look for ideas.
- News article – More likely to get traffic than many others, simply for the fact that there’s probably a lot more people searching the topic you decide to write about, also people like to read about new things so you’re off to a good start there.
- Infographic – They’re a cool means of displaying facts and figures, with peoples busy lives infographics make it easy to read lots of information in a short space of time, also providing lots of talking points for comments and social shares.
- Review – Review a related service/product within your industry or useful app for example.
- How to guide – A good source for building authority and trust within your niche
- Giveaway/Competition – Create a buzz, bring in lots of traffic and perhaps bring in other content opportunities too such as reviewing the product you give away and follow ups.
- Poll – Make your readers feel more involved in your site.
- Book summaries/reviews – Write reviews about books/apps/software within your industry.
- Success stories/Customer feedback – Share your happy customers’ feedback or success stories.
- Embed videos then discuss – Look out for industry videos or create one yourself, then discuss the contents.
How does your content stack up?
NTopic is a free tool that provides actionable advice on your web content in relation to keyword SEO. Just pop in the keyword or phrase you are looking to rank for and the tool will then score your content based on its relevancy towards that keyword.
Once Ntopic has analysed your content it then gives recommendations on how you can improve it to receive higher rankings. The site even boasts an average 4% increase in organic traffic simply by including their recommended words in your articles.
You can easily add Ntopic to WordPress, Chrome or use their built in web tool
Try it out: http://www.ntopic.org